Though during the 1940s the existence of mutants was unknown to the public, a few individuals were aware of the coming of Homo Superior, and that they had the potential to replace baseline humans as the dominant species of Earth. Thus Weapon Plus was created to address the so-called mutant problem. What was ignored by everyone involved in Weapon Plus is that its mastermind, John Sublime, was actually the host body for a sentient bacteria present on every living creature on the planet, save for mutants, who were genetically immune to the Sublime infection.
Sublime was the self-appointed name of a sentient bacterial lifeform that arose during the beginnings of life on Earth. With the rise of multicellular lifeforms, Sublime found endless numbers of hosts it could infect. However, mutantkind, immune to Sublime’s infection, eventually arose and multiplied, becoming the first threat to Sublime’s domination.
It was hinted that the very hatred and fear of mutants was caused by Sublime itself. But the bacteria took more direct actions in order to ensure that mutant population would be held in check, if not exterminated, in order to keep it from becoming the dominant species of the planet.
The first step was the Weapon Plus Project, Sublime took over a human body, dubbed Dr. John Sublime, and became the director of the Program, overseeing the creation of living weapons created by each installation of the program, from Captain America, Nuke, Wolverine, and Deadpool, to the Sentinels.
For many years, Sublime remained behind the scenes, manipulating the Weapon Plus Project and installing Malcolm Colcord as the Director of Weapon X, which would eventually lead to the so-called War of the Programs between Colcord’s replacement, Agent Brent Jackson, and Sublime, as Weapon X became an independent organization.
Weapon Plus includes the following Projects:
- Project Rebirth: succeeds in creating Weapon Zero, but subject Clinton McIntyre was placed in suspended animation due to ill effects from the serum.
- Project Rebirth: succeeds in creating Weapon I, known as Captain America.
- The Weapon II project was focused entirely on animals. The outcomes of this project remain classified.
- The Weapon III project ended with the creation of the Cold War Operative known as The Skinless Man.
- The Weapons IV-V projects experimented on various ethnic groups and prisoners.
- Project Homegrown focused on experiments with soldiers during the Vietnam War. The only successful result of this testing was a man known as Nuke, who is referred to as simply Weapon Six. However, the UK version of this Project called Black Budget was much more suvvessful, resulting in the creation of several Super Soldiers, namely: Dauntless, Gog, Dreadnaught, Revenge, Victory, Invincible, and Challenger.
- Weapon VIII focused on the use of drugs and hypnosis to trigger assassins/sleeper agents. This may very well be the basis of the ongoing Secret Avengers storyline, but only time will tell.
- Weapon IX dealt with the use of cybernetics, powered armors and battlesuits.
- Weapon X was implemented as a covert government operation by the Canadian government Department K and funded by the U.S. Developed to turn willing and unwilling participants mostly mutants and humans into living weapons. This project resulted in the creation of several Super Soldiers, but is best known for creating the agent known as Wolverine.
- Weapon XI: No individual with the ‘Weapon XI’ moniker has been seen, but John Sublime has mentioned it. A likely candidate for Weapon XI’s true identity is the Hound, a mutant with the power to hunt and kill other mutants.
- Weapon XII produced the Huntsman at the England-based facilities of The World. He was the first living weapon created employing artificial evolution and nanosentinel technology.
- Weapon XIII: This project created Fantomex whose real name is Charlie Cluster 7, also at The World. However, Fantomex rebelled against his creators and was deemed a failure.
- Weapon XIV was created in The World by John Sublime using ovaries stolen from Emma Frost to create clones designed to entrap the Phoenix Force in order to use its power to fuel their psychic abilities so they can wipe out all mutants on earth.
- Weapon XV: This project produced Ultimaton, designed to be the Super-Sentinels’ grand powerhouse. Weapon XV was killed by Weapon X, Wolverine.
- Weapon XVI: The most recent project of Weapon Plus is that called “Allgod.” It is called a “living religion”, a virus that attacks the faith reserves and makes them subservient to The World’s sentience.