MARVELOUS MAGICAL ITEMS
Helms of this sort are always of the fully enclosed variety. They are fashioned into the likeness of a skull or some other equally grisly visage. The eye slits shine with a continuous infernal light when the helm is worn. In addition, a helm of horror possesses the following powers and effects as if the wearer were a Sorcerer and acts as a Spellcasting Focus as detailed on page 203 of the 5th edition Player’s Handbook (PHB.) When worn, the Helm grants the user with the Spellcasting Ability [5th edition PHB, page 101] but it is limited to the following spells only:
- While being worn the Helm grants the wearer Darkvision as the 2nd Level Sorcerer spell.
- At will, the wearer may use the following cantrips: Posion Spray, Friends, and True Strike.
- Once per day, the Helm allows the user to cast Counterspell, Slow, and Dispel Magic.
- Three times per day, the helm wearer can cast Charm Person, Expeditious Retreat, and Sleep.
- Twice per day, the helm-wearer can cast Crown of Madness, and Suggestion.
Theses sorcerous powers affect only a single creature who must meet the glowing gaze of the helm-wearer. In any case, saving throws and immunities to fear-based attacks still apply if normally permitted. While usable by characters of any alignment, helms of horror radiate an evil aura, making them quite loathsome to good beings. Paladins and lawful good clerics will seek to destroy them and the Helm