I finished Ultron today and although I think I could fiddle with him and add more details and highlights, I’m not going to do it. I know myself and I tend to get too obsessed with trying to make the miniature resemble the studio painted miniatures. I just don’t have that level of expertise and if I mess with a single miniature too much I end up getting distressed and I give up painting.
So I bought two Core sets of Marvel: Crisis Protocol. It has worked out because my wife likes a lot of the same characters I do, so having two of each is a godsend. It’s also fun because I can assemble on of them the way it’s “supposed” to be assembled and then play around with the other one. Or, in the case of Spider-Man and Black Widow, I have a second miniature to represent the new version of the “experienced” Black Widow vs. Agent Black Widow or Spider-Man vs. Amazing Spider-Man.
I washed the entire miniature with a mixture of Speedball Pink Soap and water, scrubbing it well to remove any chemicals. Then I used Pokorny Base Gray to basecoat the entire model, as well as, the base. Then I painted Ultron using Nolzur’s Marvelous Pigment’s Duergar Metal (which I am very happy to say resembles one of my favorite paint colors from the past called “Lucifer Bronze!) from the D&D Underdark Paint Set. I ended up having to do two coats using this color because I thinned the paint on the first coat and it did something to it to remove the metallic color. Then I picked out a few (not all!) of the areas of Ultron’s “power coils” using Mephiston Red from my Warhammer 40k Paints + Tools set.
As far as the base goes, I’m not a big fan of the tactical rocks. So I just washed it first with a watered down 2:1 ink:water mix of Liquitex Ink! Burnt Umber and then once that was dry I washed it a second time with Citadel Gryphonne Sepia wash (which is out of production but you could use Citadel Shade Seraphim Sepia.)
Then I painted the recessed pavement markers. I outlined them with Nolzur’s Marvelous Pigment’s Mithral Silver. When that was dry, I painted then inside with Nolzur’s Marvelous Pigment’s Angelic Yellow. To darken the yellow a bit, I added Averland Sunset from my GW 40K Paint + Tool set. Lastly, just to add some color, I decided to make some toxic looking acid stuff in the divet of the base. I used Citadel Color Technical Tesseract Glow.